This DIY Birthday Party Escape Room is great for older children, teens, and adults! This activity serves as the party theme and activity all in one! And you can use it to help reveal where the birthday cake or party favors are hidden!
This Birthday Party Escape Room (get the download here) provides clues and setup instructions for six puzzles with two bonus clues! See how to put it together in the video below.
The escape room is best for groups of 4–8, though you can play with smaller groups by helping with a few hints if needed (you can also be ready with hints for younger groups). This PDF provides all the printables you'll need.
Additional Supplies (Most of Which You Can Use Again for Other Future Escape Rooms)
You'll also need the following supplies; links are Amazon affiliate links, and items without links are cheaper at stores like Walmart.
• “Birthday Party” Escape Room printable PDF from FamilyFED.com
• Three lockable treasure chests. (I went ahead and bought the set of 6 treasure chests, though, because we’ll be doing more escape rooms in the future and this set is more cost effective.)
• Small hair elastic
• 6 changeable three-digit locks
• Thin magnets (free promotional fridge magnets work great, too)
• Birthday confetti (optional)
• Strong neodymium bar magnet
• 2 lock-and-key sets (we use this set of six locks since we use them for other escape rooms as well)
• 5–10 gift bags (3 with gift tags)
• Blacklight flashlight (if your invisible ink pen doesn’t have one)
• Colored birthday candles
• Cake stand (optional)
• LED and string lights (optional for ambiance)
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to be alerted next time we publish an escape room! (And add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contact list!)
You May also Like
6 Easy Birthday Party Games That Are Low-Cost and Low-Prep!
Looking for birthday party ideas that are easy to prep, inexpensive, and fun for all ages? Check out these six fun and easy birthday party ideas! Most of them you can create from Dollar Tree or Amazon supplies!
45 Easy Minute-to-Win-It Games
Make any night a party with our 45 ideas for creating fun Minute-to-Win-It–style games using supplies around home and hardly any prep!
Create an Epic Summer Scavenger Hunt in just 35 minutes!
Kick off summer with an epic scavenger hunt that's an introduction to all your favorite summer activities! Enjoy it with just your family, or invite neighborhood friends to join in a caravan of cars with you. You can also use it to remind your family of the great activities they can enjoy for the next few months in your hometown. Get the printable clues here.
Make art night extra sweet with a fun, new art supply for your next canvas—M&Ms! Creating candy art with M&Ms is a great way to have your family engage with art, color, and creation with a new twist to get their creative juices going! Plus, it’s a great way to talk about creative problem-solving and resourcefulness—learn how.
Love the birthday party escape room idea. Looks like the treasure boxes are no longer available. I cannot find any others on amazon that lock like those. Any ideas?